Khagrachhari Hill District

Khagrachhari is one of the three (Rangamati, Bandarban and Khagrachhari) green, hilly and naturally beautiful districts of Bangladesh. It was recognized as district on 7th November 1983. Before that it was under Ramgarh Sub-division of the district of Chittagong Hill Tracts which was under the reign of the Tripura State, the Arakans and the Sultans in different times before it came under the control of the British East India Company in 1760. Chittagong Hill Tracts was under Chittagong District as a hilly area until it was recognized as independent district in 1867 under the ‘Frontier Tribes Act 22 of 1860. The British India Government divided the Chittagong Hill Tracts from one Circle (Chakma Circle) into three – Chakma, Bomang and Mong Circles in 1881 for collecting taxes easily. Chakma Circle consists of the area of Rangamati Hill District under Chakma Raja. The majority tribe is Chakma. Bomang Circle consists of the area of Bandarban Hill District and the majority tribe is Marma. The Mong Circle consists of the area of the Khagrachhari Hill District and the Majority Tribe is Tripura. The chief or the Raja of this circle was selected from the minority Marma population. The ‘circle’ was named after the Tripura dialect the ‘Mun Circle’, but later, the ‘Mun dialect’, was changed and renamed as ‘Mong Circle’. The then Chittagong Hill Tracts comprised of 03 (three) Mahakumas. Ramgarh was one of them which also comprised of 03 (three) Thanas namely Ramgarh, Mahalchari and Dighinala. Khagrachari was a union of Mahalchari Thana. Later in 1968 AD Khagrachari was upgraded to Thana. It also became a Subdivision for a short period from 1980 to 1983. Later on Khagrachari was declared as complete district on 7th November 1983.Though Ramgarh was an ancient inhabited place but because of the geological position, circumstances condition and communication facilities Government declared Khagrachari as district headquarter. The name Khagrachari originated from the bush of “Nal Khagra”. A canal passes through the Khagrachari Town and meets the Chengi river of which in two banks this Nal Khagra bushes grew. The location of this district is Latitude 22.38’ to 23.44’ North and Longitude 91.42’ to 92.11’ East and surrounded by in North-North-West Tripura of India, in East-South-East of Rangamati District, in South-West Chittagong District and in the West Feni River & Part of Tripura of India.. The Khagrachhari Local Government Legislative Council was formed in 1989 (in accordance with the Khagrachhari Hill Districts Council, Act 20), which, on the basis of the historic ‘Chittagong Hill Tracts Peace Accord’, was turned into Khagrachhari Hill District Council on the 2nd December.1997. It consists of 2,749.16 km2 (1,061.46 sq mi) with a population of 613,917 as per Bangladesh 2011 Census. The density of population is 220 per square kilometer and the literacy rate is 26.3%.

Geography:

Khagrachhari is a valley. It has three rivers namely Chengi, Kasalong and Maini. Chengi is the longest river in Khagrachhari. Most of the land of Khagrachhari are hilly areas. The majority of people are Tripura, Bengali, Chakma, MARMA and others.(picture)

Economy:

Most of the people lives on Jhum cultivation.There are also people of various profession like teacher, farmer, businessmen etc.

NGO in Khagrachhari: Parbatya Boudha Mission (PBM), established in 1983,a non profit organization, is working for the socio-economic, educational and cultural development of the poor people in the Khagrachhari Hill District of the Chittagong Hill Tracts (CHT) of Bangladesh..

Education:

Khagrachhari Govt. College, established in 1975. The college is now situated on 8.5 acres of land in a beautiful natural environment near the entrance gate of Khagrachhari town beside the main road of the hilly district. Khagrachri Cantonmet public school and college was established in 2006.Despite being a new institution it has become a renowned one for the students of Khagrachari.Khagrachhari govt girls high school established in 1985. It is a renowned school for girls in Khagrachhari. It has high qualified teaching staff. The school is now situated on 4 acres of land in beautiful natural environment.

Religious composition (1991):

Muslim – 34.45%, Buddhist – 48.51%, Hindu – 16.69%, Christian – 0.27% and Others – 0.08. Religious institutions 2472 mosques, 937 Buddhist (656 pagodas, 281 temples), 170 temples and 4 churches.

Hotels and resorts:

  • Parjatan Motel.
  • Hotel Ecochari Inn. www.ecochariinn.com
  • Khagrachhari Guest House, College Road, Mahajonpara, Khagrachhari. Phone No.0088- 0371-61501,cell-0088-01556510951. .(picture)
  • Zeran Hotel, Narical Bagan, College Road, Khagrachhari.
  • System Restaurant, Pan Khaiya Para, Khagrachhari. Phone no-0088-0371-62634, cell-01556773493,01732-906322
  • Khangmoi Restaurant (fast food), Pan Khaiya Para, Khagrachhari. Bangladesh Local Tour Guide (BLTG), Pankhaiya Para Road, Jamtola, Khagrachari, www.facebook.com/bltgguide www.mybdtour.com, Cell: +8801820713540.

Member of Tenth Parliament:

Khagrachhari Seat 298: Mr. Kujendra Laal Tripura from Awami League.

Administration:

Administrator of Zila Porishod: Chai Thow Aung Marma

Deputy Commissioner (DC): Md. Rashedul Islam

Superindendent of Police: Ali Ahmed Khan

Mong king: Chai Hla Prue Chowdhury

Mayor of Khagrachhari Municipality: Md. Rafikul Alam.

Bangladesh Police, Khagrachhari Hill District Branch consists of two Circles,(Khagrachhari Circle and Ramgar Circle), nine Police Stations, three special units ( District Special Branch, Detective Branch, Traffic Police) two Police Lines, 34 union parishads, 123 mouzas, 953 villages and three municipalities.